Current:Home > ScamsMichael Caine reveals he is retiring from acting after false announcement in 2021 -Capitatum
Michael Caine reveals he is retiring from acting after false announcement in 2021
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:04:11
After nearly seven decades in Hollywood, Michael Caine has announced that his acting career has come to an end.
The 90-year-old English actor revealed the news in an interview with BBC Radio where he highlighted the moment he decided it was time to retire.
"I keep saying I'm going to retire," Caine said. "Well, I am now."
His latest movie "The Great Escaper," where he stars as a man who escapes from his care home to attend the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings, will be his last project. The Warner Bros film released in theaters on Oct 6.
See also:Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher announces 'Definitely Maybe' album tour
"I've figured, I've had a picture where I've played the lead and it's got incredible reviews," Caine said. "The only parts I'm likely to get now are old men, 90-year-old men, maybe 85. And I thought, 'Well, I might as well leave with all this.'"
"The Dark Knight" actor urged the importance for older actors to continue to be featured onscreen during the interview. He said his last few roles were greater parts that the ones he remembers men at 90 taking when he was younger, calling the roles "tiny old men with humped shoulders."
And while he gave a farewell to show business, he said fans will hear from him further with a future book. He said creating his debut thriller, "Deadly Game," which comes out in November, was enjoyable enough for him to commit to a future of writing. Plus, writing a book requires a lot less effort, he added.
"The thing about movie making is you have to get up at 6:30 in the morning, do a long ride learning lines in the car and then get there working until 10 o'clock at night," Caine shared. "With writing you don't have to get out of bed."
Throughout his career, Caine collected six Oscar nominations, won two Academy Awards, three Golden Globes, a Screen Actors Guild Award and a BAFTA. He's also written two memoirs including 1992’s “What’s It All about” and 2010’s "The Elephant to Hollywood.”
The actor previously caused confusion about a false retirement in 2021 when he told a BBC radio program that his film "Best Sellers" would be his last and told the Guardian that he was stepping away from acting.
'You're always learning':Keith Richards opens up on adapting guitar skills due to arthritis
He soon clarified that he wasn't done acting yet in a post on X (formerly Twitter) where he said, "I haven’t retired and not a lot of people know that."
"Regarding retirement, I’ve spent over 50 years getting up at 6 a.m. to make movies, and I’m not getting rid of my alarm clock!" he said in a statement to Variety in 2021.
veryGood! (5151)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Travis Hunter, the 2
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds